Concentrating on some exercises too much, such as the bench press for example, can lead to structural problems with your shoulders as well as shoulder injuries over time. This is why we always recommend doing a higher number of pulling exercises than pushing ones. As an option you can also add some structural balance exercises for your shoulders.
Let us give you a couple of examples of how you can integrate corrective and structural balance exercises into your routine.
The first example that we’re going to look at is a bodybuilding workout that will work on your upper back, but before it ends it has two exercises for structural balance, and you should do these as a superset.
- For the first workout, you’re going to start with some sternum chin-ups. Do 5 sets of them with 6 to 8 reps each and rest for two minutes.
- After that, do EZ-bar pronated-grip bentover rows for three sets with eight to ten reps each. Rest for 10 seconds and then do a superset with some seated rope rows, pulling up to your neck. Do 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps each and rest for a minute and a half.
- After that, do wide lat pulldowns with a pronated grip, for 3 sets and 12 to 15 reps of each.
- Rest for a minute and do some 30-degree low-pulley external rotations for 3 sets and 12 to 15 reps for each. You should put this exercise in a superset with some 30-degree incline prone trap-3 raises for three sets and ten to twelve reps for each set. Rest for a minute and you’re done – that’s six exercises so it shouldn’t be too hard if you train with the appropriate weight.
The second workout is an arm workout. This example has a superset that will help you with your structural balance as well, but this time it’s at the beginning instead of at the end of the workout.
- Start off with some arm-abducted external rotations for 4 sets with 6 to 8 reps each. Superset with some supported bent over trap-3 raises for the same amounts of sets and reps. Rest for a minute and a half after the superset.
- After that, do some dips for 5 sets of 3 to 5 reps. Superset this exercise with some one-arm scott curls with supinated grip for the same number of sets, reps and rest. Rest for minute and a half between the superset.
- The third superset will consist of two exercises with 3 sets each, with 5 to 7 reps per set and two minutes of rest in between. You will be doing 15-degree DB triceps extensions followed by 45-degree incline DB hammer curls.
⏰Black Friday Sale – The Offers You’ve Been Waiting For
You will see which system works better for you. These workouts are just examples, you don’t have to do them word to word. Just follow their founding principle and you should be fine.